Re: New work-queue item: Conditional inclusion

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 07:54:01 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Joe English wrote:
> I still think doing this at the application/architecture
> level -- with elements and attributes -- is the best way to go.
> IBM ID Doc has a very nice mechanism for doing this, it would be
> a good place to look for ideas.

It seems to me that people's needs vary not just from application to
application, but also within an application. For instance the logical
replacement for <FRAMESET> is (IIRC) <BODY>. But the logical replacement
for <FIG> would be some other block element. This takes us back to the
venerable concepts of DTD and validation. Even if XML-LANG *provided*
"generic" conditional inclusion facilities, I would advocate against
using them. Is there someone out there willing to stand up for them?

 Paul Prescod