Re: GROW UP!

Tim Bray wrote:

> Four words: REPLY TO THE GROUP
>
> This list is bloody near impossible to read and in danger of buckling
> under its own weight, and unless some of the people learn the basic
> net skill of replying to the group, not just hitting "reply to all",
> so I don't get two #!$^@ copies of everything in a thread I may have
> originated 3 months ago, I will ask the chair simply to remove them.
> If they do not have sufficient technical competence to engage in basic
> email dialogue, they have no role in helping to design Internet protocols
> of the future.

I agree that being conscious of how much of other people's
time you consume when you send email is important.

And it's probably best to optimize for the convencience
of the editor as opposed to the average participant in
this forum.

But "lack of technical competence" reflects on both
sides of the conversation. It's not all that difficult
to arrange for duplicates to be eliminated automatically.

For example, the following three lines in my .procmailrc
eliminate duplicates:

=========
#duplicates
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
=========

And now, just for you, Tim, the relevant verse from the little
red book. On working efficiently in groups:

   	  The original vision of the World Wide Web carried a deep social
          agenda of empowering individuals, increasing society's
                                            ********************
          efficiencies, and exploiting computer power in everyday lives,
          the creator of the Web told the Sixth International World Wide
          Web conference today.

          Berners-Lee: Consider the people
          By Tim Clark
          April 11, 1997