Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

From: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:29:47 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Henry Thompson:]

| Jon writes:
| > This discussion has pretty well persuaded me that we should leave
| > parameter entities out of XML 1.0.  Entities should not be multiplied
| > unnecessarily.
|
| Altogether, or roll back to declaration-level only as I suggested?

The reductivist in me says altogether, but I shrink at the prospect of
writing a DTD completely without them.  I guess I don't know at this
point.

It's been my experience that PEs are a lot more useful on the "right
hand side" of a declaration than on the "left hand side" (sorry to
mangle the terminology -- you know what I mean).  In fact, I consider
the latter somewhat obfuscatory.  Does this make any difference to
ease of implementation?

Jon