Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@eps.inso.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:08:26 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Jon Bosak]
> This discussion has pretty well persuaded me that we should leave
> parameter entities out of XML 1.0.  Entities should not be
> multiplied unnecessarily.

It's only convinced me to drastically restrain their use.  I think
that allowing them as names of entity and element decls, for instance,
is excessive.  However, I find them invaluable for both readability
and maintenance of content models like (#PCDATA|%flow;)*.  I typically
use a content model like this everywhere #PCDATA is allowed;
maintaining the list of flow-level elements in every single possible
container would be a nightmare, and reading the content model is
easier this way.

Using PEs in ATTLISTs (for universal attributes like ID) is debatable;
the change in readability is not as severe.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA