Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:49:01 -0500
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Paul Prescod wrote:

> len bullard wrote:
> > > If we restrict paramater entities to the *non-required* subset then only
> > > validating parsers will ever have to deal with them. Perl Hackers and
> > > Browser Vendors will not.
> >
> > I don't disagree.  But when you start presenting this to users,
> > not SGML designers, not DTD designers, not me or you or Martin or
> > Deb or Eve, or the other 1/100000 of the community that has to do
> > this first time, the fewer features the better.
>
> Users who are not DTD designers will never hear the words "parameter
> entity".

That isn't the case.  The first time they try to read the DTD to
discover what it tells them about the document they are entering,
or use an interface that uses the DTD to define productions,
they will hear it.  Implementors and software vendors shouldn't
have to deal with that in the first season.  Authors shouldn't either.

len