Re: Comments on Part 1: Encoding declaration

> From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>

> >* default is UTF-8 for top-level, or inherited if an external entity
> >  reference (!not a link).
> >* but BOM overrides this: Unicode
> >* but encoding PI overrides this
> >* else...any kind of autodetect or user preference list or locale-setting
>
> I would say that things like HTTP charset labelling should override
> all of the above.

Chicken and egg, maybe.  The HTTP server has to detect which character set,
since a given system may have files of several different charsets sitting on it.

What method will it use?:

A) It will use an XML decision-tree like the one above, in which case the
HTTP charset should override everything.

B) It will just use spew out some charset parameter based on locale or something
less than XML.  In which case the HTTP charset should not override anything, but
be the initial default.

What do think the chances are?  I think B is more likely/prudent.

Rick Jelliffe