Re: Comments on Part 1: Encoding declaration

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:37:41 +1000
To: "Murata Makoto" <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>, <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
> From: Murata Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>

> (4) Proposed changes
>
> If an external text entity does not begin with a Byte Order
> Mark or an encoding declaration, XML processors may assume
> that this entity is in the same encoding as the entity
> that references to it.
>
> If a document entity does not begin with a Byte Order
> Mark or an encoding declaration, XML processors may assume
> that this entity is in the UTF-8 encoding.
>
> XML processors may use other information to detect the
> actual encoding method, but are not required to do so.

I agree. think the first method is a preferable default, and it can get added to the list in the annex.
The important thing is that some definite strategy is in place:

* default is UTF-8 for top-level, or inherited if an external entity reference (!not a link).
* but BOM overrides this: Unicode
* but encoding PI overrides this
* else...any kind of autodetect or user preference list or locale-setting