Re: "Open Interchange"

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:17:14 -0400
To: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>What is a character?   Without seriously considering this extremely
>hard problem, an "infratstructure" for introducing more
>characters will only make the problem worse.

I have spent more time on this than I care to remember...

>Some people want to introduce a character called Hashigo-Daga.  The JIS
>committee rejected it, saying that this is merely a variation of usual
>Taka(i).  (This is a debatable issue, but I agree with the committee.)
>Clearly, if we continue to introduce more and more characters for
>Hashigo-Daga, etc., full text search will become impossible.

Note necessarily impossible, just more complicated for implementors.

>Gaiji characters will cause problems if they are used without private
>agreements.

I would say "used without private agreement, or stdnardised semantic
descriptions". If you have a *standard* way of telling epople what you
mean, all will be well.

>I would propose to introduce something like this:
>
>	The private areas can not be used without some additional agreements
>	on their usage by the author and the recipients,
>	especially when XML is used over the Internet.

I can agree to wording like this.