Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:54:22 -0400
To: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>>Well, I have problems with the "here" in the above sentence. It assumes
>>far too much about the implementation.
>Look at error messages of nsgmls.  Line numbers and character
>positions are clearly identified.

That is just *one* implementation.

>>easier. If you *really* want them out, I would recommend mapping them
>>to hankaku spaces in the SGML declaration.
>I do not agree.  XML or SGML editors free users from writing spaces between

Sure, but it you use mule for editing, or notepad, or whatever, the
possibility is higher. As tools get better, I would expect that there
will be fewer and fewer occurences of zenkaku space, or hankaku katakana,
and by application convention, and market pressure, they will be gone.

>Neither my colleagues at my office nor the co-authors of the original
>Japanese comments agree with you.  If this issue is discussed by a
>large member of Japanese experts, the same conclusion will be reached,
>I believe.

Well, as I said, I talked to many *users* (not experts ;-)), and the
reaction was very mixed.