Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:54:22 -0400
To: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>>Well, I have problems with the "here" in the above sentence. It assumes
>>far too much about the implementation.
>
>Look at error messages of nsgmls.  Line numbers and character
>positions are clearly identified.

That is just *one* implementation.

>>easier. If you *really* want them out, I would recommend mapping them
>>to hankaku spaces in the SGML declaration.
>
>I do not agree.  XML or SGML editors free users from writing spaces between
>markups.

Sure, but it you use mule for editing, or notepad, or whatever, the
possibility is higher. As tools get better, I would expect that there
will be fewer and fewer occurences of zenkaku space, or hankaku katakana,
and by application convention, and market pressure, they will be gone.

>Neither my colleagues at my office nor the co-authors of the original
>Japanese comments agree with you.  If this issue is discussed by a
>large member of Japanese experts, the same conclusion will be reached,
>I believe.

Well, as I said, I talked to many *users* (not experts ;-)), and the
reaction was very mixed.