Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

From: Michael Sperberg-McQueen <U35395@UICVM.UIC.EDU>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 97 19:58:16 CDT
To: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:08:58 -0400 (EDT) Joe English said:
>My guess is that: 1) digits cannot be name start characters
>so that numeric character references (&#123;) can be
>distinguished from named character references (&#ABC;); and
>2) element names (id values) are NAMEs because every other
>kind of name is a NAME (element type names, entity names,
>document type names, attribute names, etc.).

Reason 1 sounds a lot like the reason given in beginning programming
courses for why names cannot begin with digits in programming
languages like C and Pascal.  I think the reason as given is
persuasive; the parallel to similar rules in other formal languages
is also persuasive (and may historically have been a factor).

As for the rest, I'm with Rich Jelliffe:  this is something for the
SGML revision (sgml++) not XML (sgml--).  Lobby your WG8 members if
this is something you want.

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen