Re: Base

Dave Hollander <dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com> wrote:

> Areas of conflict:
>  - Should base value *always* be displayed as the address of the document
> 	in browsers, hotlists, and other processing applications?

No -- it's up to the application.  Most want to display how you got there.

>  - Should the base be used to identify an alias for the document?

It depends what you mean by an alias, I think.

> 	If not, how?

In HTML, one might do something like
    <LINK REL="SELF" HREF="http://the.other/address/for/me">
I suppose.

>  - Should the application of the base value to a partial URL always imply
> 	a new entity?

As opposed to what exactly?  If the resulting URL is the same as that
of the current document (however that's determined), following a link may
be a null operation, or an HTTP HEAD or if-newer-than might be used to
make sure the document hasn't changed since it was last downloaded.

> Should not this group also be interested creating an othogonal definition
> for these concepts?

I don't think so.  The goal is not to duplicate HTML, nor to hash out
all the same issues.  The goal is to end up with a simple, clean,
esy to explain, easy to implement markup language derived from SGML
that is particularly suitable for Internet use  (see the Activity page!)

So where we end up needing these concepts we will have to develop them.

SoftQuad Panorama 2.x allows a processing instruction to specify a
URL for the document containing it.  It needn't be the same URL that
was used to fetch the document, but it will be used for bookmarking,
relative links, and fetching CATALOG files.  Without that, it can be
awfully difficult to serve up a multi-file object using CGI scripts!

Lee