Re: (my last word on) Permitting non-indirect links

At 11:42 17/1/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:

>So you are arguing that we should eliminate the "single URL syntax"
>altogether?

Most definitely not

>I think that that would be suicide for the levels of HTML
>compatibility we should strive for (ie. different but familiar-seeming;
>same low-level options remain almost as easy as they are in HTML).

Agreed. What I'm suggesting is that we should add facilities in addition to
the ones now available on the web to allow web managers to do what they
cannot do with HTML _if they so wish_ or to carry on in the uncontrolled way
they currently do if they are happier to work that way.

----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/