Re: Using HyTime Arcform stuff (was Re: Ephemeral XML?)

David G. Durand wrote:

> I still disagree that we should be saying anything about APIs, except in
> the context of style sheets. Markup is for declarative, structural
> information. Stylesheets are for declarations of formatting or other
> processing behavior.

Given a better definition or term for stylesheet, I might agree.
However, this is the ONLY community I am aware of that uses
the term "stylesheet" for anything other than formatting.  There
will be a problem if DSSSL is the only legal way to handle
XML processing engines.  XML will be excellent for applications
that don't know a DSSSL spec or engine exists.  As I noted earlier,
DSSSL and HyTime are on equal footing with regards to widespread
adoption and implementation.

API *standards* will appear ad hoc. That isn't a problem really,
because acquisition specs will cite products by name and where
available, ISO number.

len bullard
lockheed martin