Re: Pardon my stupidity

From: Joe English <jenglish@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:24:23 -0800
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> Uh, why was that, again?  If we have a reserved attribute named "XML-LINK",
> used to select among somewhere between 2 and 5 different types of
> elements that make up the linking machinery, then we *own* this attribute.
> Why do we need to prefix the *values* with "XML-"?  It seems like
> are safe and unambiguous.
> I suspect there was a good reason for this that I managed to miss, and
> I can't dig it out of the correspondence. -Tim

This might be because of a misguided fear that if we prescribe
a set of values for the XML-LINK architectural control attribute
then we'll be invading users' namespace for enumerated attribute
values, a la:

	<!ATTLIST mylink
		xml-link (link|xlink)	#FIXED "LINK"
		otheratt (foo|bar|link)	#IMPLIED
		    -- oops, duplicate token in attribute declared value --

This fear is misguided because nobody needs do it that way,
declared value NAME works just fine:

	<!ATTLIST mylink
	    xml-link NAME #FIXED "LINK"
	    otheratt (foo|bar|link) #IMPLIED

It could also be that the value of the XML-LINK attribute
specifies an XML-LINK architectural form, and if we allow
10744-style architectural minimization (wherein GIs may
be automatically interpreted as architectural form names)
this would invade users' element type namespace.

--Joe English