Re: In lieu of multiple attlists: LINK?

At 12:43 PM +0100 2/21/97, Steve Pepper wrote:

>Before anyone objects that the LINK feature has been jettisoned forever
>from XML, let me point out that the situation we have here is analagous to
>that of SHORTTAG and the use of the NET delimiter to enable self-identifying
>EMPTY elements:

Yes, but it's at least _arguable_ the people agree on what SHORTTAG means,
and how it is to be interpreted. LINK introduces a whole new syntax, and is
widely avoided even within the SGML community (it is, of course, popular
with some SGML users). No-one defended LINK before, and we already have 2
ways to continue avoiding it, so why resurrect it now...

We don't need any new syntax to solve the problem we have,  so we should
not use any, especially something as controversial as LINK.

>Surely this is a no-brainer?

Yes, reject.

   -- David (knee-jerk) Durand