Re: XML catalog draft

At 17:18 07/02/97 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>This is just a sketch, but consider:
[networked resolution outline]
>This isn't enough to build a resolution mechanism, but it's enough to
>think that building one might be possible.  Is there anything
>basically wrong with the idea?

Nothing, except that this is basically what X.500 tried to do when
applied as a routing mechanism with network directory information.
That hasn't flown much so far, partly because of the expense, and
partly because it has to be 100% populated to work properly.

What you describe is a great template but I think the management
factors need a lot of work (persuade people it's worth it), and at
first sight it looks like it could create a lot of request-response
network traffic.

///Peter
--
> to discover 1000s of internal "homepages" that grew overnight
> like magic mushrooms on a rich motherlode of corporate horseshit.
                          Copyright 1996, IBM.  All Rights Reserved