Re: 2.1 a-d: Link Recognition by Reserved Attribute?

Bill Smith <Bill.Smith@eng.sun.com> writes:
>Murray Altheim wrote:
>>
>> There might be an XML application that uses the XML GI:
>>
>>     <XML-LINKTO HREF="http://www.foo.com/" HRTYPE="alink">
>>
>> which could be equivalent to an XML-ized HTML:
>>
>>     <A HREF="http://www.foo.com/" XML="LINKTO" XML-HRTYPE="alink">
>>
>This seems to be the "why have one way to do something when two ways will
>do". We shouldn't fall into this trap if we want XML to be accepted at
>places like W3C.
>
>Let's pick one syntax that is easy to understand and easy to implement.
>>Ultimate flexibility leads to ultimate confusion.

Flexibility in a meta-language is an important ingredient for success.

The two methods described perorm the same function, but are used for
different purposes. The first example allows a designer to create an new
SGML application. The second allows legacy applications like DocBook or
HTML to be retrofitted with architectural form attributes to be used within
an XML processing system.

Murray

    Murray Altheim, Program Manager
    Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
    email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
    http:  <http://www.cm.spyglass.com/murray/murray.html>
           "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."