Re: Winning battles but losing the war

Murray Maloney wrote:

> I attended that meeting and tried to put in a plug
> for XML whenever I could. The W3C folks tried hard
> to downplay SGML and XML, but they did not manage
> to keep me quiet. It seems clear that they consider
> XML a bit of a threat and are trying to minimize
> its role. The best way that we can overcome that
> is to demonstrate the uefulness and practicality
> of XML as compared to HTML. Interest in growing,
> but it will take time and demonstrable software
> to sway more people to our side.
>
> I expect to be atending the next AC meeting on June 17/18.
> Having software to demonstrate at that meeting would
> be a big help in pushing XML higher up on the agenda
> for the consortium.
>
> Murray

It is competitive.  We have to live with
that and understand the competition.

The W3C consortium is a collection of conflicting
interests.   Go where they need this:  not where
they fear it.  This is when alliance with ISO
and WG8 plays to an advantage.  Don't compare
this to HTML.  Don't compare this to Acrobat.

This is SGML made practical for practical requirements.
Figure out what those requirements are first.

len bullard