Re: 1.4 c: Basic Terminology

At 08:42 4/2/97 -0500, Gregory Murphy wrote:

>> Harvey Bingham writes:
>>
>> Despite my fondness for Latin, I think terminus has been anglicized
>> for long enough to have acquired an -es plural. Problem is, terminuses
>> sounds terrible and termini is a lot easier to say. Is there really
>> no other word?
>

>	I can't find a single instance of "terminuses" in the OED 2, but
>"termini" abound, including a reference dated 1975.  Seems to be pretty
>solidly common usage.
>
>	I for one can't read/hear the plural without lapsing into nostalgia
>for Rome and its seedy but grandiose train station.

So instead of 'links to the addresses of SGML containers' we are going to
have 'links to the locators of termini' or, heaven forbid, 'links to the
ends/butts of terminuses'. Where have I heard this type of phrase applied to
taxi-drivers? Ever seen 19th century travellers phrase books?
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/