Re: ERB decisions on A.17, B.9, and other questions

On Wed, 23 Oct 96 23:21:30 EDT, lee@sq.com wrote:

>There's a little proposal at the end of this message, don't blink!
>
>> >Why can't you build your mechanism using normal elements
>> ><!ENTITY foo '<glyph unicode="XXX" glyphid="XXXX" charid="XXXX"/>'>
>
>Before doing that, I'd much rather see XML use WSDs, with very little
>extra complexity.
>
>Once you have WSDs, you can do away with entities altogether, and use
>the (is it refloc?) idea of reusable parts of a document --

This approach totally confounds the element structure with the storage of a
document. Element types describe the role that abstract classes of information
play in the document. Whether a given instance is reusable is a low-level piece
of metadata having to do with the optimization of storage management. Mixing the
two is far worse than "tag salad", it is "tag compost".
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA