Re: A note on case sensitivity

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:12:50 +0100, Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com> wrote:

>Swedisn and French, for example, should not be in the same "document" but
>should be separate linked segments of a document with their own character
>set case rules. The question is how do you link them together. In SGML they
>cannot be subdocuments of a master document because subdocs must share an
>SGML declaration with the calling document. This is one of the "unnecessary"
>restrictions that SGML97 should address.

And as Martin well know, it will. We started working on it at the last WG8
meeting.

However, the equivalent of "subdoc" with differing SGML declarations is easily
obtainable for XML by simply declaring a data entity as "NDATA SGML", then
linking to that entity via an attribute value. In my opinion, that is the *only*
way that XML should reference external SGML entities.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA