Re: XML Introduction

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:00:50 -0500
To: cbullard@HiWAAY.net, Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 08:36 AM 11/18/96 -0600, Len Bullard wrote:
>Paul Prescod wrote:
>> Could we say "XML text or non-XML text?" I am not sure in what sense an
>> ASCII inclusion (e.g. a VRML world) is more "binary" than an XML document.

I would like to amend my suggestion to "XML data or non-XML data".

>Agreed.  Would XML ever contain VRML?

Why not? Isn't VRML a good language for embedding a 3D representation of
financial data? Or of a room?

>VRML x.x might contain XML.
>We also considered that HTML was a particular
>text application, and that others might be needed or desired.

Good decision!

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html