Re: ERB decision, 31 October 1996

From: <DAVEP@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 15:40:21 -0600 (CDT)
To: tbray@textuality.com
Cc: W3C-SGML-WG@w3.org
<tbray@textuality.com> (Tim Bray) recently wrote:

>Sign me up as also not getting what Charles is driving at here.

>...it would be surprising for the to document stay unchanged between two runs
>of the parser;....

I can't speak for Charles, but I interpret that part of 8879 to mean that
a text entity referenced twice in the same document should give the same
replacement text for both references during the same parse.

This sounds reasonable--so that one wouldn't have to keep re-downloading
the same entity every time it is referenced.

I recommend this much "staticness" is text entities.  I think SDATA is
the appropriate place for funny tricks.

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@acm.org