Re: ERB decision, 31 October 1996

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 08:39:43 +0000
To: DAVEP@acm.org, tbray@textuality.com
Cc: W3C-SGML-WG@w3.org
Dave Peterson wrote:

>I can't speak for Charles, but I interpret that part of 8879 to mean that
>a text entity referenced twice in the same document should give the same
>replacement text for both references during the same parse.

This is a good interpretation, but also one of the weaknesses of SGML. You
should see what happens if you can change the subtrees within a document.
This can lead to some really powerful applications. (Not that I'm advocating
this for XML, though I will be for SGML97!)

----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/