Re: Can we be more concrete?

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:56:54 -0600
To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> Yes, because I was using a URL directly to address the image (and not an
> entity whose system identifier was a URL), I lost the notation declaration.
>  Of course, we can depend on MIME types to make the proper association, right?

So they tell me.  I have to read the URL draft just received.

> >BTW, are you assuming the use of a URL resolver?  In the #prefix
> >convention,
> >a lot of strings are appended to the locator, and that assumes one knows
> >what strings are available.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  I thought use of URLs (and therefore support
> for their resolution) was a hard requirement for XML.

It is, I believe.  It comes under "gotta live with what is working".
Can't say I like the #hack.  How does this fit with the concept of
separately storing queries so that they can be reused by multiple
links in multiple documents? I want to point to a query multiple times
much like a function is prototyped, then called whereever needed.

As to *available*, I am thinking about a scenario where the author
is "blind" to the existence of multiple representations.  For example,
the "graphic" in one system is a set of 2D drawings, in another, a
3D model is used.  The author only knows they want to point at
the "flywheel assembly view" so, in the first case, they have to
locate a gif with inserts, in the second case they have to get a
camera view.  What I want the author to use to link is the logical name
for the part, e.g, the reference designator for the flywheel assembly.
Nothing so far indicates I can't use indirection for this.  Just
want to point out it is needed.  Why?  Because I want to pick up
the document and put it on a portable device not connected to
the network.  I want the associations for the graphics on the
portable device (might not be 3D capable) to be immediate and
automatic.

>                               So, for management's sake, how does the
> >example look if one is pointing out of a document instance into the
> >independent link set document using a URL? Is it as simple as appending
> >the name of the linkset document plus the  link id to the URL with the
> >proviso that the linkset document handler knows to goto/gosub/spawn
> >the target?
>
> Do you mean linking from a document to
> an independent link?

Yes.

> You'd address it just as you would anything else: but
> note that addressing a link doesn't necessarily cause anything to happen:
> you're just addressing the link as another element.  In HyTime, at least,
> links only cause behavior when traversal between link ends happens.

Good so far.

>                  Sounds like a catalog.  From a management perspective,
> >BOS management is catalog management and all the document instance
> >needs to know is the name of its catalog.
>
> I think you can think of it that way: the BOS is nothing more than a list
> of the entities that need to be examined for possible links and link ends.

Ok.  The rest seems to work as I assume it would.

len