Re: Can we be more concrete?

From: W. Eliot Kimber <eliot@isogen.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:55:16 -0900
To: w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org
At 02:56 PM 12/30/96 -0600, len bullard wrote:
>W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

>> I'm not sure what you mean.  I thought use of URLs (and therefore support
>> for their resolution) was a hard requirement for XML.
>
>It is, I believe.  It comes under "gotta live with what is working".
>Can't say I like the #hack.  How does this fit with the concept of
>separately storing queries so that they can be reused by multiple
>links in multiple documents? I want to point to a query multiple times
>much like a function is prototyped, then called whereever needed.

Assuming that XML provides/supports/requires indirect addressing, then you
should be able to use the #name syntax to address a location address that
is a query, e.g.:

<crossref linkend="http://www.mine.com/queries.xml#all-basset-sites">
Basset hounds</crossref> are slobber monsters.

<!-- queries.xml: -->
<!DOCTYPE Queries SYSTEM "queries.dtd" >
<Queries>
<AltaVistaQuery id=all-basset-sites>basset+hound</AltaVistaQuery>
</Queries>

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting