Re: Suggestion: A link model

At 06:35 PM 12/28/96 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:

[...]

>   Link-meta contains (for each link end)
>   A link-type. These should be specifiable by default (say for links with
>fixed numbers of endpoints), on the instance (for links with variable
>number of endpoints), and maybe by some combination (Steve DeRose and I
>proposed methods to extend HyTime to accomodate this -- we don't know
>what's happened in the TC process).

I'm not sure I understand "these should be specifiable by default"--isn't
the link type the same for all the link ends of a given link?

<terminology-domain domain=HyTime>
In HyTime, the anchor roles of a particular link type must be the same for
all instances of the type *in the same document.*  This is partly because
in the new HyTime design, addressing of anchors is done by attributes whose
names correspond to the anchor roles--therefore the anchor role names must
be unique within the type and they must be fixed or you couldn't declare
the attributes.
Note that we do now have way to indicate that it is *not an error* to for a
given anchor role to consist of zero objects (i.e., that you can choose to
not address anything for a particular anchor role).  That means that you
can make any anchor-addressing attribute optional if it is not an error for
that anchor to be null.
</terminology-domain>

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting