Re: re ERB discussion of public identifiers

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 15 Dec 1996 00:43:09 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Terry Allen writes:

   | 3. Put a slot in the syntax for PUBLIC identifiers...
   |    3* ...and require an accompanying SYSTEM identifier

   Why require?

Because to go by current performance, processors and apps on the Web
neither know nor care about PUBLIC indentifiers (with one or two
obvious exclusions), and certainly wouldn't know where to go to broker
a request for resolution.

   Just say that the author has the two choices of
   how to refer, by URL (SYSTEM) or URN (PUBLIC), or both.

This is exactly the problem I pointed out the other day. It is
insufficient to allow both without indicating the sequence in which
they should be tried, regardless of how any resolution is to be performed.

///Peter