Re: Understanding the Paoli proposal

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 15 Dec 1996 00:31:11 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
   <P -XML-SPACE=PRESERVE>If I want this <B>paragraph</B> <I>to look right</I>
   in all applications</P>

   My understanding is the latter, because the former gives applications the
   right to "arbitrarily" remove whitespace, and between the B and the I might
   well look like a reasonable place to do so.

But I thought whitespace in #pcdata was implicitly preserved (eg here in
paragraphs where mixed content is not in use): it's only whitespace in
locations where #pcdata is NOT permitted which can be removed (eg the
TABs, newlines, and spaces inserted by psgml to indent the structure
while editing).

///Peter