Re: SGML and XML

Gavin Nicol wrote:

>     I would be interested in hearing why people wish to necessarily
>have the entire attribute set appear on each element instead of just
>the attributes that had values specified (ie. I wonder if applications
>couldn't be built for the latter case that are effectively the same as
>the former).

I cannot see any reason they could not.  The reason for "real" defaulted
values as I see it is so that the DTD designer can direct that all
applications get the same default value, which "#IMPLIED" cannot insure.
Administrative sanctions on application builders can have the same effect.
(Though the may be tough to enforce in some open environments....)

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@acm.org