RE: I18N Issue alternative: a passing thought.

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:17:23 +0200
To: "pat hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> Greetings.
>
> Y'all are going to just LOVE me for this,

Lot's and lots.

(While I personally like that design - it is the wrong time for this
proposal).

Hence I will pick holes:

> aaa ppp "sss"@ttt .
> -->>
> aaa ppp _:x .
> _:x xsd:string "sss" .
> _:x rdf:langTag "ttt" .
>
> Note that xsd:string is the appropriate datatype for simple literals,
> providing a way to in effect put a simple literal string in the
> subject position (encoded as a bnode). In fact, in this design,
> xsd:string is in effect owl:sameAs applied to literals.

No that last bit is incorrect - the blank node _:x has language ttt whereas
the string sss does not.

The additional blank node was at the heart of the untidy proposals (either
explicitly or implicitly) and this proposal is essentially untidiness
revisited.

Jeremy