Re: comment on current deliberations in RDF Core concerning the lexical space of XML Schema datatypes

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:36:11 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: phayes@ihmc.us, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 16:06, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
[...]
> I am unaware of any ambiguities in the XML Schema documents in this area.

I thought it was really clear too, but when I went to trace the
line of reasoning in the text of the spec, I found this
oddness:

"integer has the following ˇconstraining facetsˇ:

whiteSpace
..."
  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#integer

"[Definition:]  A constraining facet is an optional property that can be
applied to a datatype to constrain its ˇvalue spaceˇ."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-constraining-facet

So the whitespace facet constrains the *value space*
of integer somehow?

Maybe that's spurious (I just sent a message to xmlschema-comments
seeking clarification). But I hope it makes it more clear why
the RDF Core WG deliberates the way it does.