RE: Fwd "a comment on NFC"

From: Francois Yergeau <FYergeau@alis.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:55:32 -0400
To: "'Brian McBride'" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Brian McBride wrote:
> [[
> The string in both plain and typed literals SHOULD be in
> Unicode Normal
> Form C [NFC].  This is motivated by anticipation that [Charmod],
> particularly section 4 Early Uniform Normalization will become
> standardized practice.  Implementations SHOULD accept strings
> which are
> not in Normal Form C and MAY issue a warning in such circumstances.
> ]]

My personal opinion only: the first part would be consistent with the
current state of Charmod, in which most of the normalization-related
requirements have been softened to SHOULDs.

The last part, however, is not consistent with the first.  If data SHOULD be
normalized, then implementations SHOULD NOT accept it when not normalized
(but may, if "the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed
before choosing a different course" [RFC2119] is fulfilled) and SHOULD issue
a warning in such circumstances.

--
François