Re: entailment-from-inconsistent-graph: new test case request

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:10:53 -0600
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>proposes - in particular Jan's proposed test is incorrect.
>while sympathetic to Jan's desire for meangingful test cases, I note that
>peter's test (particualrly the choice of conclusion) depends on a somewhat
>non-obvious technicality.
>false does-not-simply-entail G
>for any non-empty G, because G uses at least one URI which is not in all
>interpretations of false.

No, it does. A entails B means (forall interpretations I (if I
satisfies A then I satisfies B))

so if A is false then this is always trivially true; so false entails
anything, no matter what vocabulary it uses.

I removed the vocabulary restriction on entailment at Herman's
insistence: he was right.

>Thus the test case needs to show an inconsistency, followed by garbage using
>the same vocab as the premise (or  the central RDF vocabulary). (And we have
>rdf-entailment), ditto rdfs entailment).
>Peter's choice of garbage out
>rdf:type rdf:type rdf:type
>seems to be about as best as you can do to have obvious garabge given the

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell