RE: timbl-03 collection clutter

At 11:40 07/05/2003 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>So I'm confused.
>
>Are we all agreed that the only reason to keep the rdf:type rdf:List
>triples would be if webont needed them?

I'm not currently aware of any other.

>DanC: the cost of updating the Owl specs to not require the extra type
>triples is 'considerable'.
>
>PatH: It bet its not.
>
>Jos: we can easily add/remove them as needed, so add them when needed.
>
>Jeremy: we can easily add/remove them as needed. Its more aesthetic to
>remove them when not.
>
>So:------------
>
>PatH - you bet its trivial to change Owl not to need them - can you
>propose specific text for the change?
>
>Question:  Which Owl needs them?
>
>The purpose of a specification is to enable the development of maximally
>interoperable implementations.  Personally, I don't understand why we have
>to be so dogmatic about whether these triples are generated by a parser or
>not.  Can't we just encourage developers to offer control over whether or
>not they are produced?  Tim gets what he needs - no generation of
>unnecessary triples.  Pfps gets what he wants - no change.

I think that we need to be dogmatic to the extent that
(a) the syntax specification states what (minimum) triples are generated
from some RDF/XML input, and
(b) the semantics specification states what a collection of triples means,
such that taken together they give a complete account of what some given
RDF/XML means as RDF(S).

Beyond that, and here I think I agree with you, I think it's up to layered
specifications to "condition" the RDF graph in any way they may need to
ensure that the layered semantics work out as desired.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>