RE: timbl-03 collection clutter

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:40:53 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 22:26 06/05/2003 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
>>>Jeremy and Peter discussed the cost of relaxing that constraint,
>>>and it seems, to me, to be considerable: the details of the
>>>mapping of owl-dl-abstract-syntax to RDF graphs are somewhat
>>>subtle and impact many parts of the S&AS spec, especially
>>>the semantic layering bits.
>>I'm a bit puzzled by this comment.  The mapping in AS&S 4.1
>>describes how to convert OWL abstract syntax into triples.  What we
>>are discussing is whether an RDF parser needs to generate these
>>additional triples (which are in any case entailed in any
>>RDFS-interpretation).  I don't see how the semantics of OWL
>>abstract syntax can reasonably be dependent on the behaviour of an
>>RDF parser.
>I would very much like to get this comment put to bed.
>So I'm confused.
>Are we all agreed that the only reason to keep the rdf:type rdf:List
>triples would be if webont needed them?
>DanC: the cost of updating the Owl specs to not require the extra
>type triples is 'considerable'.
>PatH: It bet its not.
>Jos: we can easily add/remove them as needed, so add them when needed.
>Jeremy: we can easily add/remove them as needed. Its more aesthetic
>to remove them when not.
>PatH - you bet its trivial to change Owl not to need them - can you
>propose specific text for the change?

Wherever any part of the OWL-XX syntactic conditions currently
mention triples of the form

xxx rdf:type rdf:List

that reference is modified to refer to triples of the form

xxx rdf:first yyy
zzz rdf:rest xxx
xxx rdf:rest zzz

which could all be called 'list triples of xxx' or some such phrase.
A minor edit to the text, no significant change to any actual

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam