Re: Suggestion williams-02 - *huge* editorial change

I would be *very* wary about adopting the term IRI at this time.

I was at the IETF URI BOF last week, and there was some discussion of the
IRI spec.  Minutes at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2003Mar/0043.html

One issue in particular that is not currently clear regarding IRIs is the
status of certain US-ASCII characters not allowed in URIs:
[[
(<, >, ", SPACE, {, }, |, \, ^, `) are not allowed in URIs; in the
current draft, they are allowed in IRIs.
]]

XML namespaces 1.1: http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/

I also note that this spec does not *define* IRIs, but refers to an
Internet draft:
[[
IRI draft
     Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs). Available at
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri-02.txt
]]

I would say that this doesn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of being on the
IETF standards track by the time (we hope) RDFcore goes to recommendation
track.

Hmmm... there's also http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#IRIs, but I don't
think I'd know exactly how to include an IRI containing (say) '>' in an RDF
document based on that specification.

My conclusion:  this whole area is very messy at present, and I'm not sure
how we can be confident of getting any alignment with IRI's completely
right.  I'm inclined use some text of our own (possibly copy xml-names11
and clarify the use of "additional" characters), with a note that this may
be replaced with a reference to a future IRI spec, rather than indirect
through some transient specification in yet another document.

I note that adopting the IRI per xml-names11 would require a change to
N-triples, which has:

[[
absoluteURI  ::=  ( character - ( '<' | '>' | space ) )+
]]
-- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/ntriples/#absoluteURI

At 11:19 27/03/2003 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Williams-02 is the suggestion that we should:
>- defer to Namespaces 1.1 for the definition of IRI
>- and globally substitute "[RDF] URI Reference"  by "IRI"
>
>There is a small substantive differences which is Unicode Normal Form C.
>On the advice of I18N WG in Cannes we required RDF URI References to be in
>Unicode NFC; Martin Dürst informs me that they have changed their minds on
>this one.
>
>Draft proposal:
>
>Change concepts to defer to Namespaces 1.1 defn of IRI rather than have a
>definition of RDF URI reference.
>
>Globally substitute "[RDF] URI Reference", "uriref" etc.  by "IRI".
>

>This needs discussion!
>
>Also, we should e-mail i18n-ig and ask for an official comment from the wg
>retracting their advice in Cannes.
>
>Jeremy

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>