Re: Proposal to close reagle-01, reagle-02 (substantive)

>Brian McBride wrote:
>
>>At 18:16 06/03/2003 +0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>
>>>Brian, please prioritize discussion of this issue since
>>>it is critical path for WebOnt.
>>>
>>>Proposal to close reagle-01, reagle-02.

>>>  Suggest that parser should (but not SHOULD) canonicalize.
>>

>>I thought we were defining the syntax and semantics of a langauge,
>>and assuming a processing model.
>>
>>If this will solve the webont problem, then can we say nothing at
>>all?  They just have to make sure they use a canonicalising parser?
>>
>>Brian
>>

>The actual changes I propose that suggest that parser should canonicalize are:
>
>1: adding test(s) that are based on that asusmption (We have not
>included tests in the test suite that require C14N).
>2: adding following note to concepts:
>[[
>Note: For systems which reason about RDF graphs
>it is suggested that the canonicalization be
>performed on XML input. The internal representation
>and non-XML external representations should be
>in canonical form.
>]]
>
>There is some webont resistance to the cost of c14n, and the added
>complexities they perceive. It has not helped that Pat felt a need
>to spell out the L2V mapping of rdf:XMLLiteral in the semantics doc.

Just for the record, the need to do so arose from the lack, in the
Concepts document, of referenceable definitions of the lexical and
value spaces of the datatype.  (BTW, I note that the proposed changes
will still not give an adequate definition of the value space, since
the lexical mapping is not surjective.)

One way or another, treating this thing as a datatype seems to cause
more problems than it solves.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam