Re: Properties no longer required to be resources?

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:28:14 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

>Hi Pat,
>Sorry if you get this twice - having email trouble again.
>On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 20:18, pat hayes wrote:
>>  >I just noticed an editorial (?) tweak (pointed out by pfps) to the
>>  >semantics document that the semantic constraint that properties must be
>>  >a subset of resources has been removed from the current editors draft.
>>  >
>>  >http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#interp
>>  >
>>  >Pat, this is rather more than just an editorial tweak.
>>  This is only for simple interpretations. It does not make any
>>  difference to RDF or RDFS interpretations, since those
>>  interpretations are still required to conform to the subset condition
>>  by virtue of their semantic conditions; cf. section 3, 5th para
>>  (after the table of RDF semantic conditions):
>I am greatly relieved to hear that.  I didn't read the para you quote.
>I just checked the maths of the semantic conditions and they didn't seem
>to require that properties are resources.  I then checked the (now
>complete?) closure rules in 7.2 and couldn't see how the desired
>entailment could be attained from them either.

Well, no, it can't in RDF, because "Resource" isn't in the RDF
namespace, it is rdfs:Resource.  If it had been rdf:Resource then
rdfs 4a/b would have been rdf 4a/b.

>I know better than to argue mathematics with you, but maybe you could
>point out what I'm missing?

I hope that I got that one right. If not, let me know ASAP.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell