quick syntax question.

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:39:41 -0500
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Dave, can you answer me a quick question about RDF/XML? Sorry I am
still so behind the curve on this, but I need to get this exactly
right given our decision about plain literals and xsd:string.

Consider a plain literal in an RDF graph which uses some characters
which require escaping in XML, eg say "<br/>".

1. Is it the case that in RDF/XML, this would be rendered using XML
character escaping? Ie it would look like this

2. If so, would it be correct to say that in spite of this, that the
literal character string itself was the original 5-character Unicode
sequence? (Or is the character string of the literal an 11-character
sequence in RDF/XML but a 5-character sequence in the graph? I hope

3. If so, are there any literal character sequences which *cannot* be
sent through RDF/XML? Or does XML provide an escape for every Unicode
code point?

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell