Re: call for agenda items

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:20:36 +0300
To: "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "rdf core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: "rdf core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 15 July, 2003 20:49
Subject: call for agenda items

> I'm on holiday Wednesday; please send me items for the telecon agenda by
> Thurs noon uk time.
> Brian

Discussion of the refinement to literal handling, capturing the X and G
(contextual vs. non-contextual literals) as outlined in

Providing the benefits:

1. XML literals can be encoded as contextual (plain) or non-contextual

2. Allows contextual XML literals to have language tag associated, providing
    consistent treatment of language qualification for all contextual
literals, plain or XML.

3. Removes special distinction in RDF graph between plain and XML literals.

4. Allows complex typed literals (e.g. xhtml:table) to be serialized as XML.

5. Only requires tweaks to RDF/XML syntax and RDF/XML to graph mapping.

Benefits #1 & #2 directly address concerns/wishes (as I've understood them)
by Martin and I18N WG (albeit not all of them) while still addressing the
of those wishing to use the RDF Datatyping machinery (conveniently) for XML

Benefit #3 addresses earlier concerns by TimBL about an artificial
distinction or special
treatment for XML literals separate from plain literals which breaks
(c.f. TimBLs comments:

Benefit #4 makes RDF more convenient for managing XML fragments with
explicit typing.

Benefit #5 addresses the needs of the RDF Core WG to get things wrapped up
major rework.

While I think it has been agreed that there are no showstoppers in the
present design,
I have difficulty dismissing the view that the above minor changes are