Re: Related comment from XML Schema

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>; <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>; <msm@w3.org>
Sent: 15 July, 2003 00:43
Subject: Re: Related comment from XML Schema

> Hello Patrick,
>
> At 13:03 03/07/11 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>
> >Several members of the WG have tried to make the following
> >point clear to you, yet you seem to keep missing it, insofar
> >as your posts suggest, at least to me.
> >
> >The RDF Core WG has not "removed language information
> >from XML literals", as if we don't care about the
> >ability to associate language with XML encoded content,
>
> Could you then please explain to me where the language
> information goes if the XML literal is something like
> "Hello <strong>World</strong>!" ? Where in the graph
> (the G-view) is it, or, where in the graph would I put it?

Sorry, I misunderstood, and thereby misstated.

Yes, the WG did remove the semantic relation between a
rdf:XMLLiteral typed literal and an enclosing language scope.

The motivation for that was that the special treatment of
rdf:XMLLiteral was causing havoc of various sorts in
the MT, and having no lang tag was not viewed as a
serious technical loss, since XML provides the means
to express that language information in the literal itself
(accepting the special challenges of mixed content).

Patrick