Re: problems with RDF datatyping

At 12:27 PM 1/21/03 -0700, pat hayes wrote:
>>Then what good is RDF datatyping?
>
>It presumes some extrnal scheme for locating datatypes (datatyping
>inforamation, if you like) by usiung urirefs.  It does not provide a means
>to create such information or to attach it to a uriref; that is the
>business of the definer of the datatypes in question. RDF can use it,
>however, once it is defined.

Maybe of interest... as a result of some recent work I did to try and
describe access control transformations in RDF [1], I'm looking into using
Haskell [2] as an inference layer for RDF.  I just spent a happy plane
journey trying to understand how to do lexical->value transforms in a
purely functional environment using higher order functions.  Being a *pure*
functional programming environment, Haskell has some nice program
provability properties which I think would lend well to this area of
formally defining datatypes.

[1] http://www.ninebynine.org/SWAD-E/Intro.html#HomeNetAccessDemo
(I think the URI is correct, but can't be sure as I've no Internet right now)

[2] http://www.haskell.org/

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>