RE: Type of (the denotation of) a plain literal

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:31:00 +0000
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo@agfa.com>, <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 11:59 17/01/2003 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

[...]

>3: the semantics document should say clearly (I don't know if it does) that
>the denotation of an untyped literal without a language identifier is the
>unicode string.
>(Dan felt strongly about this, and no one else objected)

   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#urisandlit

[[he meaning of a literal is principally determined by its character
string: it either refers to the value mapped from the string by the
associated datatype, or if no datatype is provided then it refers to the
literal itself, which is either a unicode character string or a pair of a
string with a language tag.]]