xmlsch-02 whitespace

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:00:49 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

Peter is unhappy with the lack of decisiveness in the whitespace processing.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JulSep/0269.html

I note that WebOnt backed a similar comment, saying:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0335.html

"OWL necessitates that the
denotation in the domain of discourse be fully defined by the source
RDF/XML file. "

This might suggest that Peter could, if he chose, get WebOnt support for
his comments above.

A different way of coping with the implementors' feedback would have been
to have added the whiteSpace normalization to the l2v mapping within RDF
datatyping. This would have avoided the MAYs and SHOULDs that cause the
implementation variability.

I confess to being worn out with this - but if anyone could suggests words
I guess I would support them.

(Dave made a valiant attempt to head this criticism off - but I think Peter
concern follows from almost any MAY in our spec)

Jeremy