Re: editorial tweak to Semantics

OK, how about this:

In the RDF/XML syntax described in RDF/XML Syntax Specification
(Revised) [RDF-SYNTAX] the use of rdf:ID creates a reification of the
enclosed triple in which the reified triple is a URI constructed from
the baseURI of the XML document and the value of rdf:ID as a fragID.

Pat

>pat hayes wrote:
>
>>Frank Manola wrote:
>

>>>Argh!  I hope the Primer isn't misleading on this question,
>>>because I don't think your last sentence is accurate.  What I try
>>>to say is that rdf:ID provides a way of indicating that, in
>>>addition to generating the usual triple, a reification of that
>>>triple with a specific URIref (generated from the rdf:ID value) is
>>>to be generated as well.  It doesn't (I don't think) "attach a URI
>>>reference to a triple in an RDF/XML document".
>>

>>Well, isn't that attachment done by the fact of the URI appearing
>>in the rdf:ID in the document in question? But OK, I could rephrase
>>it thus:
>>
>>(In the RDF/XML syntax described in RDF/XML Syntax Specification
>>(Revised) [RDF-SYNTAX] the use of rdf:Id with a URI reference as
>>value creates a reification of the enclosed triple, with that URI
>>reference as the reified triple.)
>>
>>Would that be better? Its more awkward but maybe more accurate.
>>
>>Pat
>>

>Pat--
>
>What I'm getting at is what I say later in the Primer reification section:
>
>"Using rdf:ID as shown in Example 20  generates the reification
>automatically, and provides a convenient way of indicating the
>URIref to be used as the subject of the statements in the
>reification. Moreover, it provides a partial "hook" relating the
>triples in the reification with the piece of RDF/XML syntax that
>caused them to be created, since the value triple12345 of the rdf:ID
>attribute is used to generate the URIref of the subject of the
>reification triples. However, this relationship is once again
>outside RDF, since there is nothing in the resulting triples that
>explicitly says that the original triple had the URIref
>exproducts:triple12345 (RDF does not assume there is any
>relationship between a URIref and any RDF/XML that it might have
>been used or abbreviated in)."
>
>That is, if you look at the graph (Figure 17), there's nothing that
>connects the triple described by the RDF/XML ("the enclosed triple")
>to the URIref used in the reification triples (generated from the
>rdf:ID attribute value).  So there's sort of an "attachment" between
>the generated graph and some RDF/XML, but the interpretation of that
>attachment is still strictly outside of RDF.  I just wouldn't want
>anyone to interpret this parenthetical remark (whatever text it
>contains) as an exception to or qualification of the original
>statement that there isn't really a connection defined by RDF.  This
>would be an application-dependent convention that related (in a
>specific way) the resulting graph to the RDF/XML used to generate
>it;  and this information wouldn't necessarily be available to a
>second party receiving the graph.
>
>NB:  "rdf:Id with a URI reference as value" isn't strictly accurate
>either.  rdf:ID ("ID" in caps) doesn't take a URIref as a value;
> [...]

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell