Re: RDF Use Case: scraping metadata from the web

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ext Brian McBride
  To: Patrick Stickler
  Cc: ext Martin Duerst ; rdf core ; i18n
  Sent: 06 August, 2003 16:32
  Subject: Re: RDF Use Case: scraping metadata from the web

  [...]

  > E.g., have someone dust off the XML Fragment Interchange [1]
  > spec, make sure it does the right things, and then tell
  > folks use it *everywhere* they deal with XML fragments, including
  > with RDF.

  I wasn't aware of this, or if I was had forgotten.  This is a real
  'find'.  Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

And to make a point before any possible suggestion might appear,
XML Fragment is *not* suitable for use *by* RDF in creating
lexical forms of XML literals embedded in RDF/XML, because
XML Literals are not (semantically) fragments of the RDF/XML
insofar as the interpretation of the RDF/XML is concerned when
generating the graph.

The use of xmlns: and xml:base definitions in surrounding XML
context is simply something unavoidable, given the lack of distinction
XML makes between encapsulating and encapsulated markup, but the
semantics of the encapsulating RDF/XML and the encapsulated XML
literal remain distinct.

Where XML Fragment *would* be very useful, is by applications scraping
XML off the web, where they would create XML literals corresponding
to XML Fragment instances of the source XML instance in question,
including all semantically relevant context markup, including xml:lang,
and then canonicalized as an rdfs:XMLLiteral lexical form.

Cheers,