Re: Possible syntax restriction on encoding rdf:XMLLiteral

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:55:40 +0300
To: "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ext Brian McBride
  To: Dave Beckett
  Cc: RDF Core ; Martin Duerst
  Sent: 06 August, 2003 16:52
  Subject: Re: Possible syntax restriction on encoding rdf:XMLLiteral

  3) it doesn't achieve its goal.  there is nothing to stop folks defining
  synonyms for rdf:XMLLiteral, so I don't see how one can prevent it.

I think this particular point is sufficient to justify not
making any such syntactic restriction.

Better to view parseType="Literal" as syntactic sugar for the
general form of typed literal expression, as a convenience to
users -- not as either a primary or (as suggested) exclusive
form of expression.

I.e. typed literals are expressed using rdf:datatype and a valid
lexical form. Because RDF/XML *is* XML, and because the canonical
lexical form of rdfs:XMLLiterals is complicated, we provide a
more convenient way to express them, just as various contractions
are provided by the RDF/XML syntax.

Patrick