Re: RDF Use Case: scraping metadata from the web

[sorry, Brian, for jumping in here, but...]

Martin,

I appreciate the position you present in the post below, but
I must stress the point that the problem you present is a
general problem relating to working with XML fragments, no
matter what the context, and *not* a problem with RDF, nor
a problem for RDF to fix.

By saying this, I do not mean to suggest that the problem is
not important to solve. It is. But not by RDF, and while we
have bent over backwards to try to figure out some way to
lessen the problem insofar as RDF is concerned, we have not
come up with any solution that, all things considered, is
better than what is now on the table and reflected in the
latest editors drafts.

Anytime an XML user wishes to deal with anything smaller than
a complete XML instance, they will encounter these sorts of
issues. RDF is not creating this problem.

If RDF were to provide one solution, then that would simply
be inconsistent with another solution provided for some other
context. You seem to be big on having consistent treatment,
so it puzzles me that you would seek so specialized a solution
by RDF specifically.

You appear to be asking us to make RDF inferior for SW purposes
in order to address this problem, just a little bit, insofar as
RDF alone is concerned, for the sake of some indeterminable
number of XML users.

Let's not try to treat the symptoms rather than find a cure.

Let the XML folks tell XML users how to deal with this
problem in a *general* way when dealing with XML fragments
irregardless of the language of encapsulation.

E.g., have someone dust off the XML Fragment Interchange [1]
spec, make sure it does the right things, and then tell
folks use it *everywhere* they deal with XML fragments, including
with RDF.

RDF is not going to be able to solve this general XML problem.
Certainly not at this point, given the fact that we should have
been finished with all this stuff well over a *year* ago!

Can we *please* stop spinning our wheels on this and move one?

Thank you.

Regards,

Patrick

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-fragment