RE: xmlsch-01 Typed Literal Structure proposal to close

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:19:56 +0300
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Patrick:
> Hmmm....  sorry, but I don't myself buy that explanation.

Did you prefer Brian's text? - he talked about both literals as subjects and
non-monotonicity.
He certainly phrased it more gently, which is a good thing.

My view is that the crucial test cases that determined the current design were
ones like

<jenny> age "10" .
<film> title "10" .

entails

<jenny> age _:b .
<film> title _:b .

I was trying to indicate that without getting into detail.

(Patrick both you and I disagreed with the WG decision on this test case;
however, that does not mean that we cannot try and articulate why, having
decided this test case, much of the rest falls into place. I would ceratinly
agree that the WG could have gone the other way, and not had a monotonicity
problem with global datatyping)

Jeremy